Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a successful, rapidly growing, woman owned business that provides high quality and cost-effective consulting services to a wide variety of clients in the governmental and private sectors. Straughan is committed to advancing sustainable and resilient communities. We are experts in environmental planning, design, assessments, and policy. Our staff consists of wildlife and wetlands scientists; geomorphologists and hydrologists, civil and environmental engineers; inspectors; biologists and botanists; planners; cultural resource specialists; and GIS and CAD professionals. This combination of technical expertise and an understanding of policy make Straughan a highly competitive firm and a great place to advance your career.
As an Administrative Assistant, you will join the administrative team consisting of senior leadership, marketing, finance, and human resources. You will provide administrative support for office management, accounting, and proposals/contracts.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, communication skills, and have a high aptitude for computer software. You should be self-motivated, excel at multi-tasking, and be able to proactively address emerging needs of the organization. We are looking for someone who wants to promote a fun and team-oriented work environment. Opportunities for advancement include increased responsibility for company proposals, communications, accounting, and/or contracts. Technical writing, marketing, or accounting expertise would benefit your ability to grow in this role. Your efforts will help to ensure that our company runs efficiently, and our employees have the tools they need to carry out our mission.
This position requires in-person work 4-5 days/week at our corporate office in Columbia, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Office management will include maintaining supply inventories; coordinating maintenance of office equipment; managing off-site document storage; managing maintenance of Straughan’s vehicles; and managing building maintenance activities, repairs, and upgrades.
- Placing food or supply orders, coordinating and making travel arrangements, coordinating and supporting special office events/party planning, and event registrations.
- Completing forms and online registrations. Reviewing contracts, drafting documents, and file organization.
- Assisting with marketing projects including proposals, staff resumes, and work descriptions; conducting research on the market and industry events.
- Accounting support such as account reconciliations, accounts payable, and routine billing.
Education: High school diploma
- At least 3 years of administrative experience
- Proficient in Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive)
- Data entry experience
- Strong organizational skills and high degree of attention to detail
- Excellent time-management skills; comfortable with routinely shifting demands
- Ability to make independent decisions on a daily basis, addressing the best way to handle specific tasks
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal abilities
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner
- Valid driver’s license
- Associate or bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated technical writing skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by applicable law.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at a time.
As a condition of employment, Straughan employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom are legally entitled to an accommodation. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Straughan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.