A leading engineering and environmental firm advancing sustainable & resilient communities
Founded in 1995, Straughan has grown into a leading multi-disciplinary engineering and environmental firm. Our incredibly talented and passionate team of engineers, planners, and scientists believe in a better process to achieve project development goals while protecting the environment. With a mission to advance sustainable and resilient communities, we provide analysis, planning, engineering, and construction management services to provide better outcomes for the environments and communities that we serve.
Certified Diverse Business
Straughan is a Certified Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) with the federal government. We are a Certified Minority (MBE)/Disadvantaged (DBE)/Small Business Enterprise (SBE) with various state and local governments.
working with us
Quality, customer service, safety, and management commitments for every project.
Strategies to improve outcomes for the environment and communities, while often reducing project costs and schedules.
Versatile environmental expertise – from project planning and design through construction and program management.
Straughan strives to provide superior customer service and technical excellence in all work. These goals have resulted in award winning outcomes!
- Environmental Business Journal Business Achievement Award
- Green Company of the Year from Howard County
- ACEC/MD Community Service Award
- The Governor of Maryland’s Outstanding Volunteer Service Award
- Green Building Leader Award, U.S. Green Building Council, Maryland
- SMPS Maryland 2020 Key Award for Brand Identity
- 2021 ACEC/MW Grand Award in Non-Design for Uncovering the History of DC’s Buried Streams
- 2021 ACEC/MW Honor Award Branch Avenue Park Design-Build Stream Restoration
- County Engineer’s Association of Maryland (CEAM) Small Project of the Year Award for the Brooke Lane Off-Site Woodland Conservation Bank
- Maryland Quality Initiative (MdQI) Award of Excellence
- MD SHA Outstanding Consultant Award
- Outstanding Project and Recognition for GHG Methodology, ACEC National and ACEC Maryland
- Green Building Project Award for Lyndhurst Elementary Middle School, U.S. Green Building Council, Maryland
- Green Building Project Award for UMB Design and Construction Offices, U.S. Green Building Council, Maryland
- 2017 LaRC Blue Marble Award for “Stormwater Management – Proactive and Green Solutions for NASA Langley’s Next 100 Years”
- 2017 LaRC Blue Marble Award for “The Environmentally Responsible Aviation (ERA) Project”
- NASA Johnson Space Center Contractor Safety and Health Forum (CSF) Safety and Health Excellence Award – SUPER NOVA in 2020, 2016
- NASA Johnson Space Center CSF Safety and Health Excellence Award – NOVA in 2017, 2015, 2014
Leaders building a sustainable future
We are a dedicated team of expert engineers, planners and scientists whose collaborative approaches result in better outcomes for projects, people and the environment.
Sustainability is intrinsic to the function of our company
At Straughan, we are committed to developing sustainable solutions by considering the social, economic, and natural environments while challenging standard approaches and considering unique applications of emerging technologies.
We strive to demonstrate that sustainable solutions are the better option for fiscal responsibility, long-term resiliency, and community satisfaction.
Focused on environmental compliance and sustainability
We’ve recycled, reused, and transformed a 25 year-old office building into a showcase for sustainable possibilities — our Maryland Headquarters achieved a LEED Gold Rating.
Native vegetation and habitat
100% renewable wind power
Recycled work stations and carpet
Intelligent lighting systems (light, motion and sound sensors)
Solar tubes for natural lighting
Energy Star appliances and electronics
Low Flow bathroom and kitchen fixtures
High efficiency HVAC
Our Environmental KPIs
We are pleased to present internal environmental evaluations in the areas of energy, water, and waste.
Diversity of thought
Straughan believes diversity makes us stronger. A diverse workplace improves innovation, creativity, productivity, and professional growth. We strive to challenge our assumptions and develop innovative solutions to common problems. We build project teams with diverse expertise and backgrounds to create and test ideas that improve the status quo.
Advance your career, your community, and a healthy environment
We cultivate meaningful work in an engaging environment. Working closely to develop and support employees to reach their full potential.